Notgames Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:06:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 13291 times)
Víctor Marín

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »

While I'm not a game designer or developer, I love gaming and the artistic part of games. Lately, I'm more interested in that part that in the games themselves.
I think it's the most interesting form of expression right now, and I feel sorry too that it gets wasted on videogames.

About myself, I'm a young music student and I'm trying to start on notgames, while for now I just mod videogames and well, play them too Cheesy.
increpare
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:19 PM »

What sort of music are you involved with?

What mods are you/have you worked on?
Víctor Marín

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:16:19 AM »

I am composer, currently studying, "clasical" composition, while we learn everything from IX century to XXI. This year I'm starting with computer tools. Also I play classical guitar, piano and old plucked instruments like vihuela or tiorba.

I've modded a lot for Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, mostly on the artistic part (level design). I've also done some 2d art for Freecol, an open source remake of an old game.
Also I've designed levels for a lot of games wich had editor, most unknow.  Nothing relevant actually.

I have an old portfolio if you are interested, almost got hired by Obsidian for an "Oficial Mod" wich they never started. http://www.neverwinteros.com/cielososcuros/web/erthel/
The host page is not even mine, it's from one of the mods I was working in.

Lately I'm in some kind of vital chrisis because I find visual arts more suited for expressing myself than music, while I love both.
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »

Hmm... you might want to change your major, you know Smiley

The world needs organization ^_^
Víctor Marín

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »

Just answering while I read the rest of the forum Cheesy.

I'm not sure what do you mean, but I think a Major in USA is the lead teacher or something. I'm from Spain, and I would have to change my whole career. The worst part for now has been talking to my parents: "I think videogame engines have a lot of potential for artistical expression. Mind if I leave my career after two years maintaining me outside of home to get on 3ds and photoshop and make something that newspapers tell you it's for nerds and loosers?".

But I'm passionate about computer visuals so, at some point, years ahead or next month, I will move on to it.
For now, if you don't mind, I'll follow this forum trying not to make much noise and maybe giving some thoughts on aesthetical discussions. And, of course, playing your notgames Cheesy. Again, I'm not a developer or skilled artist, so sadly I won't be able to participate in any as crafter.

And excuse if my english is not very good, still learning.
increpare
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »

Again, I'm not a developer or skilled artist, so sadly I won't be able to participate in any as crafter.
Sure you can.  There are lots of tools out there for creatives without too much technical background.  Two standard things would be Klik & Play or Renpy - both of which are ... places where you can work reasonably freely with interactivity.  Inform 7 is an option, if you like the idea of interactive fiction.  If you don't mind getting your hands a little bit dirtier, there are many more tools still.  Or you could even potentially do some really interesting audio-related interactive stuff in something like puredata. 

Anyway: I won't accept any of your feeble excuses.  Smiley  You don't have to do anything, but if you do, and have any troubles along the way or want some feedback, just ask for some help on the forums and we'll do our best...
Michaël Samyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:15:55 AM »

Or if you're comfortable with (or attracted to) 3D, there's Blender, Quest and Unity! Smiley
Feel free to ask technical questions, etc.
increpare
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »

Those too!

Blender's a good options, in terms of its self-contained-ness - though most interactive things I've seen done with it have been pretttty clunky.  But there's an aesthetic to clunkiness, so maybe that's okay.

Also if you're mentioning those, then udk snuggles up to them pretty well.

edit Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker looks potentially interesting also.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:39:19 AM by increpare » Logged
Kaworu Nagisa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

@ Victor
Here you go: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Major

a. A field of study chosen as an academic specialty.

Hope that helps ^_^

The world needs organization ^_^
God at play

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »

Welcome Victor.  Great to see another person here.  Even if you don't make stuff, it's encouraging to see support at this early stage.  Sometimes people who are just observing and interacting in a creative community can benefit it as much as any creator.  So don't feel bad.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: